Thursday, October 2, 2008

New Direction


I have made the decision to move ahead, rather than backwards. I will be working now in the pure abstract. I will be thinking of course on Mark Rothko, J M W Turner, Brice Marden, Barnett Newman. With a new direction...moving into the deep end of the pool a real artist statement is required so be patient as it will come. I can say this, the work is intended to be the polar opposite of my previous series. Willem de Kooning had this observation: " one must change to say the same". This new work is about the non-corporeal or spiritual. Can I as an artist succeed in causing a transformation in my viewer without the figurative or representational form? Can I still create a painting that captivates and intrigues my viewer and is sublime rather than vulgar. Can I play with value and tone to create depth and dimension? Can I create art that my viewer responds to in a emotional state and yet cannot explain why? This is the work I have set upon.